Kaspersky’s Global Research and Analysis Team (GReAT) uncovered a new type of malware attack on Windows and macOS Devices by Lazarus group. It is using Trojanised cryptocurrency exchanges to spread malware on computer devices. The interesting thing is that devices running macOS are not even safe from the attack. The Research team is using the term “AppleJeus” for this operation. The AppleJeus Malware is using a method which gives the attackers unlimited access to the infected computer. Last Year Kaspersky has also detected some servers in India that were used by the same cybercriminal gang Lazarus. The Lazarus is also known WannaCry ransomware attacks.
What is AppleJeus Malware?
AppleJeus is a new type of cyber attack or malware attack. AppleJeus Malware is using a legit-looking cryptocurrency trading software to infect computers. Infamous Lazarus group is believed to be behind this malware attack. The group is using Trojanised cryptocurrency exchanges to spread malware. The Attacker penetrated the network of a cryptocurrency exchange using Trojanised cryptocurrency trading software. Kaspersky gave the term AppleJeus Operation for it because it’s the first time when a malware attack has been reported on Apple’s macOS machines. The AppleJeus attack was currently recognized in Asia. But we have to wait for more update.
How AppleJeus Works?
The AppleJeus malware enters on a computer through an update to a third-party software. The Software look like a cryptocurrency trading. The software then starts sending information to back to the command and control server. The attacker then analyses the data, if attackers found the computer is worth infecting, it starts sending the malicious code. All these codes are received by the targeted computer in the form of a software update. Through the code, a trojan “Trojan Fallchill” will be installed in the computer. the Trojan Fallchill gives attackers unlimited access to the targeted or attacked Device. With it, the Attacker can steal valuable financial information or to deploy additional tools for that purpose.
You May Also Like: Why Android Users Need to worry about RottenSys Adware
How Harmful the AppleJeus Malware is?
The reports indicate that the AppleJeus Malware is so dangerous. Some Points will definitely help you to understand the risk better.
- It USes a seemingly legit looking cryptocurrency trading software.
- The software vendor has a valid digital certificate for signing its software. It also has legit looking registration records for the official domain.
- The research team even warned everyone who uses Apple’s macOS for cryptocurrency-related activities.
- The Attack is believed to be done by Lazarus group. Who does not know the name?
- The same group was behind the infamous WannaCry Ransomware attack.
- Last Year Kaspersky has also detected some servers in India that were used by the same cybercriminal gang.
- The Trojan Fallchill gives attackers unlimited access to the targeted or attacked Device. I think the word “Unlimited access” is enough to explain the risk.
- All the harmful codes received by the attacked device looks like a software update.
I hope all the above points will be enough to narrate the situation and risk.now the main point is How to protect our device from AppleJeus Malware?
You May Also Like: Honor Play Special Edition with an Awesome Laser Engraved Back
How to Protect DevicesComputer from AppleJeus Malware? and what about financial transactions?
- You can protect your device from AppleJeus Malware using the robust and up-to-date security solution, having malicious-behavior detection technologies.
- Don’t trust the third Party website for Softwares.
- You can use multi-factor authentication.
- Use the stand-alone computer.
These tips are provided in the report provided by the Research team. We are hoping some more tips to be released soon to Protect Computer fromAppleJeus Malware. But till then if possible keep distance from these legit-looking cryptocurrency trading software. I hope you will find this article informative. We will update this article according to the further news, tips, and updates about AppleJeus Malware.